Monday, March 31, 2008

company in east india - part IX

Got up a little late, partly because of the late night and partly because Gujju had issued stern instructions, still managed to hear the koel. Today was a day without plans, the day of departure. Fruits had replaced the omelet and I quite enjoyed that change, breakfast done I finished my packing and was all set to leave.

Saurabh was in the neighborhood for some work and Gujju suggested that we go and meet him, he ended up picking (and dropping) us. We went to Russell Street and enjoyed some great lassi served in a kullhad along with a plate of mini samosas. Russell Street has these numerous sweet shops run mostly by Punjabi immigrants/refugees and is a great place for street food. I expressed my gratitude for the kurta and insisted that they plan a trip to Bangalore.

Lunch was at home and this time I had ensured that my appetite was intact (had gone steady on the samosas). Some great mutton korma was on offer along with dal, subzi and rice; aunty and Gujju wanted to know my opinion on the mutton (initially I was supposed to make biryani for lunch, but aunty had given me a breather on the condition that I provide candid opinion about the lunch she served) and I told them it was fantastic, which they took as a reflection of my politeness. But honestly, it was fantastic. Lunch done I had a quick shut eye in order to recharge myself, was planning to meet S for a while on Park Street and from there proceed towards the airport after dropping S back home. Got up well in time and bid adieu to my terrific hosts.

S was almost on time and we stepped inside Flurys (so much had happened since my first visit), I had my suitcase which I left with the security guard. I drank some chai while S ate some crepes, chatted and decided to step inside the adjoining music world for a bit before leaving (which we did and bought 2 films).

SRK’s Kolkata Knight Riders had been a frequent topic throughout this trip and once inside the cab it resurfaced. Only this time we had an audience – the cricket crazy cabbie, who in a sense perfected the finish to this terrific trip. The cabbie had played district level cricket during his college days and had a point of view on every aspect of the game. Once I had dropped S off the addition of expletives added to the color of his commentary. Reached the airport well in time and by now I knew my way around pretty well. The flight was on time, I check in my luggage and settled down in the waiting lounge with the Kundera S had given.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Free Blog Counter